Monday, March 9, 2009

Coming to you live from Kenmore NY...

Hello everyone. I feel bad that I've never written in the paper version of the family letter and am only now making my first post. I hope the Decker Blog lives on for a long time. So, here goes nothing…
I'd first like to say I enjoy the photos that everyone has been posting. I would love to post some photos of my own, but unfortunately my laptop was stolen. Apparently the town of Kenmore is not as safe as I first thought…while Kari and I were at work, someone broke into our house and stole our brand new laptop, our camera, a bottle of Tanqueray (a delicious bottle of gin that Bernie gave me for a gift) and a bottle of grape vodka. I'm upset about the computer because of the sensitive personal information that we had on it, the thousands of pictures we have on it…and of course the thousands of illegally pirated music (on the brightside I guess the FBI won't be knocking on my door anytime soon). I'm also pretty angry that my wife is afraid to be in her own home sometimes. I'm sure it was just some young misguided youth and not some dangerous heroine addict that broke in.
The picture I am posting, which was taken the other day, is of the bar that I just completed. Bernie helped me out a great deal…the box molding was his idea. Apparently Grandpa's woodworking gene has hit many of the Decker clan…Uncle Martin, Uncle Larry, Uncle Joe and Bernie to say the least. I built the frame of the bar two summers ago, and finally began work on it again last November. Bernie came up from Rochester to help, and the first thing we did was take apart everything that I had worked on the prior year. You'd think building your own bar would be cheap, but if I were to total up all the receipts, I bet it was much more than going out and buying one from the store. Not to mention the $214 I spent on liquor on Saturday, and the $175 I spent on the mini-fridge yesterday.
Saturday is our 4th annual St. Patty's day party. We expect about 40 - 50 people in our small 1,500 sq foot house, but it should be good times. The bar will come in handy for the party. I'm looking forward to playing some beer pong and drinking Irish car bombs…it's the one day of the year that I pretend I'm in college still.
I was reading Uncle John's post the other day and laughed out loud when I saw the picture of Jordan in the ghost buster's t-shirt. I was wearing a ghost buster's t-shirt myself when I read his post. You would not believe the awesome t-shirts you can buy from Target…Wheaties, Transformers, and Ghostbusters to name a few.
Well, my post is getting too long… I'm sure people have stopped reading many paragraphs ago. There is much more to write, but I'll save it to another day. I like how when everyone signs off, they give the # that represents them and not their name. I can picture Grandma yelling at Uncle John at the dinner table back in the day…"#5 you stop hitting #1 or no dessert for you!" Ha. Later.
#1-4

3 comments:

  1. ha.. well, not the only day you get to pretend you're still in college. That's what the cottage is for.

    I suppose it's #1 version 4, or v1.4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice bar! I bet it'll get a good work-out for St. Patrick's Day. Judy's Dad, the great German
    that he was and the first of three sons of one Karl Herbst, was born on St. Patrick's Day. We used to celebrate St. Patrick's Day with great gusto.... green beer and all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan,
    It must be comforting to know that the burglar likes computers, booze, digital cameras, and illegal music downloads. If you met this guy in a bar, you'd become the best of friends.
    D

    ReplyDelete